The Environmental Educator/Resident Camp Staff position is a short-term educator position that supports Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania’s (ASWP) contract program with the Fox Chapel Area School District (FCASD). It is an environmental education resident camp program which currently takes place at Camp Allegheny in Stoystown, Pennsylvania in the Laurel Highlands of Somerset County. This residential camp program is the core of the Fox Chapel Area School District fifth grade Environment and Ecology, and Social Studies curricula. Educator duties include:
- Facilitating environmental education lessons and activities in mainly outdoor/trail settings
- Helping to train and oversee high school students serving as camp counselors
- Leading campfires, and group activities/games
- Supervising student daily routines
- Managing program materials and supplies
Employment Period: September 3, 2019 to October 5, 2019. Room and board provided throughout.
- Employment contingent on obtaining background clearances as required by the state of Pennsylvania (fees reimbursed)
- Degree in environmental or outdoor education, environmental studies, natural sciences, education or related field, or prior relevant experience
- Willingness to work outdoors in a rural/natural setting in varying weather conditions
- Positive and flexible attitude
- Ability to work well with all ages (upper elementary, high school, adult)
- Prior experience working with children in some capacity
- Knowledge of or interest in Ecology and/or 18th century North American History
- Must enjoy early autumn in the mountains!
Preferred but not required
- First Aid/CPR (if not current, certification will be provided)
term includes approximately one week of training/prep work. Some weekend work required, but most weekends off. Room and board provided onsite throughout the term.
Please submit a resume/CV, cover letter, and 3 professional reference contacts to Gabi Hughes, email@example.com. Please apply by August 9, 2019 or earlier.
Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania (ASWP) is a 501c3 nonprofit environmental education and conservation organization based in Pittsburgh (Fox Chapel). The mission of Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania is to connect the people of southwestern Pennsylvania to birds and nature through our programs, projects, and places.